[Nek5000-users] Pipe example - Strange velocity/pressure signals

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 2 12:42:23 CST 2014

Dear Neks,

We are interested to do a smoothly deformed axisymmetric geometry, much like the pipe/stenosis example in the repository.
So, we added hpts probes in the pipe example, and modified nothing else, but this turns out to give strange values initially. The first probe sits 3 diameters downstream of the stenosis throat (z=3), and gives U=0.48 at the first time step, despite zero initial condition. The pressure in this position shoots up to very high values too, so maybe a spurious pressure peak is the cause?

Could you please help us to understand/prevent this phenomenon? The .usr, hpts.in and essential parts of .rea are attached. We are using revision 1008.
This would be important for us as we aim to use Nek5000 to study transient as well as steady state dynamics of similar flows.

Thank you in advance!
Outi