[Nek5000-users] running NEK5000 on a cluster with fast/slow storage subsystems. Relative paths instead of absolute

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jun 29 04:16:02 CDT 2014

I am trying to use nek5000 on the cluster Lomonosov.
What is special in the configuration is that it has two levels of storage.
The basic storage of a user (i.e. his home directory) is not seen by computational nodes.
Computational nodes have their own file system which can be accessed by user through "~/_scratch" subdirectory of the user's home directory.
So "~/_scratch" is the home directory for programs running on computational nodes.

This is why I can't run nek5000 on this very cluster.

I have the following message in the log file:
 read .rea file
forrtl: No such file or directory
forrtl: severe (29): file not found, unit 9, file /mnt/data/users/dm4/vol12/vanvan/_scratch/stw/stw32x32.rea

You can see that the program tries to look for an absolute path of the file: it expanded home directory to "/mnt/data/users/dm4/vol12/vanvan" and tries to find the file in the "_scratch" subdirectory which does not exist on computational nodes.
For the program on computational nodes the path is simply "~/stw/stw32x32.rea" or "/home/users/vanvan/stw/stw32x32.rea"

Can you tell me what I have to change for a relative path instead of absolute or give the absolute path manually.

Suppose this situation can happen on other clusters.

Thank you, Van