[Nek5000-users] what exactly is thermal flux and how to set it on different sides?

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 16 17:04:27 CDT 2014

Van,

It is a real flux:    q" = k dT/dn

If it is blowing up it's probably because of the nonlinear response of the Boussinesq
equations to the I.C./B.C. combination that you are using --- you might be able to
cure this with sufficiently small timestep.   For inhomogeneous Neumann conditions
there is no stability issue of the type that's encountered with Robin (i.e., Newton
law of cooling) BC's, where a sign change can indeed lead to an instability.

2.  I like things like:

if (y.lt.0.5) flux = 1
if (y.gt.0.5) flux=2

as discriminators for different surfaces.

3. The BC types are assigned in the .rea file.   The functionality for each type
is prescribed in the .usr file.   Having extra definitions in the .usr file doesn't matter
if there is no reference to them.