[Nek5000-users] quasi 3D and boundary condition

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jun 8 09:44:36 CDT 2014

Hi Zhang,

You can use periodic boundary conditions in the z direction, provided you have at least 3
elements in z.

Prescribed boundary conditions are given in Cartesian coordinates.  If you have the "mv "
bc on your moving surface (i.e., the cylinder surface), along with the following things

       lx2=lx1-2
       ly2=ly1-2
       lz2=lz1-2

 parameter (lx1m=lx1,ly1m=ly1,lz1m=lz1)

in SIZE, and T ifstrs, T ifmvbd in the .rea file, then the mesh will move with the fluid
velocity (which you prescribe as Cartesian velocity vectors, u,v,w).    Note that nek
uses an ALE formulation and the mesh motion must relatively limited or the mesh
becomes too distorted.   For an oscillating cylinder, this should be ok (see
www.mcs.anl.gov/~fischer/ocyl.gif).    I've just added a 2D oscillating cylinder case
that illustrates the basic procedure to the examples suite.