[Nek5000-users] Introducing Turbulence

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 14 05:06:55 CDT 2014

Dear all,

I am currently running my own 3D channel flow simulation, it runs very nicely, however I wish to introduce some random white noise in to the simulation to initiate turbulence. Thus I would like to ask your opinion on the method before ploughing into a dead end!

When creating the initial mesh using prex or pretex there is an option to switch on turbulence modelling, however when I click it nothing happens, is this a bug or is there some other thing I should be doing to enable this?

Secondly to introduce white noise I am thinking I create a subfunction which generates a random number and then feed this into userf or useric to start turbulence, is this an appropriate method or is there another way which I have missed?

Thank you for the swift response to my previous question and thanks for any help with this issue in advance,

Friedrich.