[Nek5000-users] n2to3 for axisymmetry mesh

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 2 11:36:04 CDT 2014

Hi Nekers,

Do you have any experience on generating an axisymmetry mesh via "n2to3"?
Now I want to extrude a 2D mesh into a 3D axisymmetry mesh. I found that the
rotating axis is y-axis, does anyone know to define the rotating axis into x-directiong?

when I keep the default rotating axis (y-direction) , n2to3 only works when there is no edge coincide with the y-axis. in this situation, there is a hole in the center, which is obvious wrong.

For example, this is the 2D genbox file.
 1 base.rea
  2 2                         spatial dimension (if negative dump binary re2 and .rea file)
  3 1                         number of fields
  4 #
  5 #=======================================================================
  6 #
  7 box_1                     any string with 1st character .ne. "c" or "C"
  8 -8  -4  1                 nelx,nely,nelz (if <0, length to be equally divided)
  9  -0.0   2.0  1.            x_0  x_Nelx  ratio
 10 -0.5   0.5  1.
 11 v  ,O  ,W  ,W             bc's  ! west,east,south,north,bottom,top (fixed 3CHAR format)

I want make an axisymmetry tube with the center line is y=0. I know the genbox can extrude a circle face into a tube. but here I want first try to this simple case.

Since the mesh is axisymmetric, I choose the boundary  type of Z(5) and Z(6) as "E". It can generated the 3D.rea. but after I run genmap, it failed, even I try the much smaller tolerance.

NOTE: smaller is better, but generous is more forgiving for bad meshes.
0.1
 reading .rea file data ...
 start locglob_lexico:           8         640        5120  0.10000000000000001
 locglob:           1           1        5120
 locglob:           2          55        5120
 locglob:           3         161        5120
 locglob:           1         805        5120
 locglob:           2         805        5120
 locglob:           3         805        5120
 locglob:           1         805        5120
 locglob:           2         805        5120
 locglob:           3         805        5120

     1     2     4  Matrix:  SELF!!
       1 SELF!!      401      402      401      402
       2 SELF!!      506      507      491      492
 cont: SELF!!           1   ??

 ABORT: SELF-CHK            1           5           1           0
 Try to tighten the mesh tolerance!

           0  quit