[Nek5000-users] mesh problems (i think)

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 31 13:10:43 CST 2014

Hi Jacopo,

I'm not able to look at your files at this moment, but I do have a quick
suggestion.  Nek is normally pretty flexible when it comes to the .rea
formatting except for boundary conditions and curve sides.  I would suggest
carefully studying the format of the base3.rea file and make sure the
formatting you are using to create pipe.rea is the same.

- Josh

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 11:34 AM, <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear Neks,
> I am trying to set up a case from scratch.
> The goal is to create a complex 3d cylindrical mesh, to start I am
> trying to build a pipe.
>
> 1st attempt:
> I created a simple 2d 'base.rea' file (by hand) and extruded it with
> n2to3 to create 'base3.rea'. This case works in 3d, the outer edges are
> curved and the boundary conditions are correct.
>
> 2nd attempt:
> I wrote a piece of code to create a 3d 'pipe.rea'. I tried to reproduce
> the case that I had done by hand but this time without success.
> nek runs the case and produces the usual output without giving any
> errors but...
> Problems:
>   - the outer edges are not curved
>   - the boundary conditions are not imposed correctly
>
> In both cases I used the same .usr and SIZE files.
>
> It seemed to me that I had a problem with face numbering, so I tried
> changing the number of the curved faces in the pipe.rea file. I tried
> with all 6 numbers but still no curved faces.
>
> I have attached both the 'base3.rea' (which works) and the 'pipe.rea'
> (which doesn't). I also attached a picture of the output generated when
> running the 'pipe.rea' case and the SIZE and .usr files.
> All the attached files can be downloaded from my dropbox folder at this
> link:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18689429/attachment.zip
>

> Can someone help me understand why 'pipe.rea' does not work?
>
> Best regards,
> Jacopo

Josh Camp

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
-- Edmund Burke