[Nek5000-users] Building mass and stiffness matrices

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 18 01:51:15 CST 2014

Hi Paul,
It is possible to perform the online phase of rom approach in nek5000?
After the computation of pod basis, for example,
 The reduced stiffness matrix will be of form Z^T A Z,  Where A is the
stiffness matrix of full discretization and parameter ind., Z is the matrix
obtain columnwise by pod basis. That implies to do not  extract
the stiffness matrix, but to perform a new directed computation of reduced
system inside nek5000 and select the parameter by datafile to obtain the
online snapshot.
In this case the reduced stiffness matrix will be , of course dense, but
cheaper. However , it is needed to work around in order to have ah matrix
component  and perform pointwise the tensor product z^t a z ( maybe with
routine mxm). Maybe with new rb-hybrid approch it is possible to extend on
the A constructed by block refering each one to a physical domain.
Best regard
Davide

Il martedì 18 febbraio 2014, <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> ha scritto:

> Hi Giuseppe,
>
> It occurs to me that the right way to address your
> problem is to dump out the unassembled matrices, which
> are all block diagonal, with full blocks.  Then, in addition,
> it's easy to write out the matrix that assembles the submatrices
> into the full sparse matrix.  That part should be relatively
> easy to handle in a framework that is designed to work with
> the global index set.  (Nek doesn't deal with the global
> indices and for the size matrix you want, in parallel, it
> wouldn't be easy to generate them.)
>
> So, basically, Nek would produce
>
>     A_L = block_diag {A^e} _{e=1}^E
>
> and Boolean assembly matrix Q such that
>
>     A = Q^T A_L Q
>
> The elemental matrices, A^e, are completely full. Thus, for
> N=9, corresponding to 10 x 10 x 10 = 1000 points in a given
> element, you would have 1 million nonzeros in each matrix.
> (For undeformed geometries, some of the matrices are sparser.)
> The matrix Q^T is rectangular and consists of columns of the
> identity matrix.  (See, e.g., Deville, F., & Mund, 2002).
> It probably wouldn't take much effort to code up the output
> routines for this plus some matlab code to demo how to
> assemble the stiffness matrix.
>
> Paul
>

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2014, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:
>
>  Dear users and developers,
>> I am using NEK5000 for a 3d unsteady simulation with mixed Dirichlet and
>> periodic bc. For the post-processing (a POD-based dynamics) I need the
>> global
>> mass and stiffness matrices as built by NEK5000 on my mesh. I would also
>> need
>> the matrix having as entries (phi_i, grad(phi_j)) where phi are the basis
>> polynomials.  Is it possible to have NEK build these matrices and then
>> save
>> them on file? The ultimate goal is to import them on a PETSc program to
>> perform some algebraic manipulations. I already found a way to import the
>> simulations' results.  Surfing the code, I have found some 1-d routines,
>> but
>> I don't know how to extend them to my needs.  Thank you in advance for any
>> help or hint.
>> Best regards,
>> Giuseppe

Davide Baroli, PhD student