[Nek5000-users] Constant mass flow rate in simulation

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 31 17:57:27 CDT 2014

Dear Neks,

Recently I've been struggling with constant mass flow rate in my turbulent channel flow simulation. Based on the userchk subroutine in 'turbChannel' tutorial case, I also used torque_calc(1.0,x0,.false.,.false.) to calculate the wall shear and then got the mean wall shear. After that I set mean pressure gradient 'ffx' equal to the mean wall shear in order to keep constant mass flow rate. In this case, the flow rate started from 1 (nondimensionalised case, bulk mean equal to 1) and kept increasing. Although the increment was very small at each time step, it never stopped and the bulk mean velocity has increased to 1.002.

Is it appropriate to set constant mass flow rate by updating mean pressure gradient based on mean wall shear in Nek5000 or am I using the wrong calculation? Since the bulk mean is still increasing, the simulation is like acceleration channel flow.

Does anyone has any clue about how to set constant mass flow rate for turbulent channel flow in Nek5000? Any idea is appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Thanks and regards,
Tony