[Nek5000-users] Rules of thumb for element aspect ratio limits

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 25 15:17:03 CDT 2014

Hi matt,
Sorry that I cannot fully answer your question, I know that at least the smallest edge length  in the mesh is a measure for the stiffness of the full problem, so maybe you should avoid too small element heights in the boundary layer.
However, I also would like to know  how you are generating the airfoil mesh, since the mesh has to be coarser than a standard meshes and the boundary layer elements need to have curved boundaries, no? Which mesh generator you use and how do you convert the mesh to Nek format?
The 3d problem should boil down to a 2d problem, since I assume that you want simulate a small part of the wing with periodic boundary conditions in spanwise direction... But wei, for the 2d mesh, did you resolve the issue to curve the boundary layer elements?

Florian