[Nek5000-users] Fwd: Variable density flows

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 11 09:54:41 CDT 2013

In principle, this should work with the Pn-Pn-2 STRESS formulation, but
I don't think it has been thoroughly tested.

Regarding large viscosity variations, work needs to be done on the
preconditioners for the viscous terms.   This hasn't been a traditional
focus for Nek5000, which has been aimed at high Reynolds number flows
where the viscous solves are essentially trivial (compared to the
pressure, say).

Certainly, there are things that could be done to be effective in
this space.  I would start by running some test problems with the
STRESS formulation to see if you get the accuracy you're after.  If
so, then we can look into performance enhancement via better preconditioning
strategies for the case at hand.

HTH,

Paul