[Nek5000-users] PN field to PN-2 field

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 27 06:57:24 CST 2013

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for having been late in answering in return.

In fact, I wanted to define a usrdiv based on the temperature field for the perturbation topic that I opened some time ago (see https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/nek5000-users/2013-October/002334.html) but I now understand that my ideas were wrong. It is not possible to do what I wanted with usrdiv because the problem is fully coupled. I rewrite the set of perturbations equations that I would like to solve below. "k" is the wavelength of the perturbation field (vxp,vyp,tp) in the z direction, and "tp" is used to model the third velocity component "vzp" which is not computed in 2D. Thus the perturbation velocity field has 3 components but (VX,VY) is the baseflow  and is 2D.

/continuity :	d(vpx)/dx + d(vpy)/dy + k * tp=0
/
/momentum   :	d(vpx)/dt + VX dvpx/dx + VY dup/dy = - d(prp)/dx - vpx dVX/dx - vxp dVX/dy + nu (//d^2vxp/dx^2 + d^2vxp/dy^2 - k^2 * vxp )
/
/		d(vpy)/dt + VX dvpy/dx + VY dvpy/dy = - d(prp)/dy - vpx dVY/dx - vyp dVY/dy + nu (//d^2(vyp)/dx^2 + d^2(vyp)/dy^2 - k^2 * vpy )
/
/		d(tp)/dt + VX d(tp)/dx + VY d(tp)/dy = -k prp + nu ( d^2(tp)/dx^2 + d^2(tp)/dy^2 - k^2 * tp )/

in which "d" means partial derivative.
In my opinion the only solution would be to include the third velocity component in the 2D calculations of the perturbation field in nek which would be useful for any situation in which the baseflow is 2D but the perturbation velocity field is 3D with a harmonic evolution along the normal to the plane direction.

Best regards,
Vincent.

Message: 1