[Nek5000-users] Problem with Genmap

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 26 15:14:54 CDT 2013

Hi Holly,

Attached is a tarfile with a script "mkmesh" and a .usr file
that will take a regular square grid and compress it near the
center.   Compression has two components:

1) a tensor-product compression, similar to what you had

2) a pseudo-orthogonal grid concentration

The purpose of the second part is to avoid very high aspect
ratio cells, which really impact the conditioning of the linear
systems and consequently the iteration counts.

On this latter point, let me make a couple of comments/questions.

In your original script you had a compression factor of 0.7,
extended over 50 elements, which would give a largest to smallest
ratio of ~ 1.e-8 and you would end up with an aspect ratio of
approximately 1.e-6.

My guess is that you have something very near the origin that you
are trying to resolve and are not interested in the far field.
Because of the difficulties with high-aspect ratio elements
(which is common to all discretizations, but see pp. 24-26
of www.mcs.anl.gov/~fischer/pubhtml/jcp97.pdf for a discussion
related to the SEM), it might be of interest to consider an O-grid,
i.e., a cylinder, in which you can easily focus resolution and
maintain near unit aspect-ratio throughout the domain.  Attached
is an example mesh (in t.t2.gz).  I can also provide the scripts
used to generate this, if of interest.

Paul