[Nek5000-users] Problem with Genmap

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 26 09:54:38 CDT 2013

Hi Holly,

I've posted this back to the list since it doesn't involve big
data files and the resolution of the problem might be of interest
to others.

I think I see what's going on and have a couple ideas to fix it.

Most likely, the reduction attained with 50 elements and a geomtric
progression of 0.7 is wreaking havoc either in the .rea file or in
the tolerances within genmap.  A significant issue here is that
the file format in the .rea file is in limited precision --- I think
we can change that with little difficulty and still be compatible
with the workflow.   We'll look into that on our end.

A reasonable work-around, which is what I typically do, would be
to rescale your element coordinates inside nek, and just use a
uniform mesh as the input.   I'll send along some code on how to
do this shortly --- along with another approach that will also
give you focused resolution at the origin without the high aspect
ratio elements that will result from the tensor-product approach
used here.

Paul