[Nek5000-users] nhis

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 5 13:16:35 CST 2013

Hi,

I have found that if you set lhis to npts/np you get data that's messed up
and out of order, BUT if you set lhis to npts it works fine. I think there
is a bug in hpts (see my email to the users group on Nov 13 and copied
below).

However, I have some pretty big grids, so I need to use the
parallelization feature (i.e., set lhis to npts/np, here npts = total
number of interpolation
points and np =number of processors). However, then the data output to
hpts.out  is jumbled up. If I instead set lhis to the total number of
points, the output data is
fine. I suspect there is a bug somewhere in  hpts such that it mixes
up the data.

Cheers,

Janet

------------------------------

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 15:11:29 -0600
> From: nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
> To: nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
> Subject: Re: [Nek5000-users] nhis
>
> Hi,
>
> nhis in SIZE is the number of points, per processor, that can be read in.
> So, you will want to be sure that the total number of points in hpts.in =
> nhis*np.
>
> If this is the case and you are still getting strange values in hpts.out,
> we can look at other possible problems.
>
> Thanks
> Katie
>

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM, <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > " <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to extract the time-averaged values from a avgcase0.f00001
> > file of, for example, the velocity components at some specific locations.
> >
> > To do that, i set nek5000 in "post-processing mode? by setting nsteps=0,
> > read the file in the userchck and call hpts().
> > I need a large number of locations I want to interpolate at (stored in
> > hpts.in), much larger than the default nhis=100 in SIZE.
> > I am finding spurious values in the hpts.out file at some locations.
> These
> > spurious values and their locations change when I change nhis.
> >
> > I am doing something wrong?. There is a better way to do that?.
> >
> > Thanks.

Janet Scheel
Assistant Professor of Physics
Occidental College