[Nek5000-users] Turbulence DNS collaboration request

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 2 15:21:25 CST 2013

Dear users,

As a newcomer, I am delighted to discover that ANL has free downloads of DNS/LES f77 codes.

I want to avail this opportunity because I have a very important and fundamental set of calculations to do regarding turbulent particle pair diffusion, for which I have developed a new theory that challenges Richardson's celebrated 1926 theory.

However, I fear that the time I would to invest in learning to run and then analysing the vast data may be prohibitive for me.  But fortunately, an opportunity by way of a possible research funding has arisen here in Saudi Arabia. I am about to submit an application along these lines, and I am allowed 1 or 2 international consultants on the project. This can also include periods of training for myself in USA ANL for example. There will be a compensation for the consultants involved.

I am therefore requesting anyone interested  who already knows how to run the an ANL spectral turbulent DNS code and is interested in this topic to kindly join me in this collaboration. We have large super computer in KAUST (the new university) and I believe that I can easily get access to it if needed.

It has to be DNS, not LES. It must a spectral code for the purposes of testing my theory. It can be in 2D or 3D. (Or both cases.) It will involve creating a an algorithm for integrating the motion of passive particles to generate an ensemble of long particle trajectories, and hence to obtain Lagrangian particle pair statistics. This is in principle not difficult - I have a basic algorithm myself. The main problem is the sheer size of the data.

I envisage about a 2 year project. I hope to produce at least 1 or 2 fundamental papers - and this will have something to say on the general theory of turbulence. My idea is essentially that pair diffusion in the inertial subrange is governed by both local and non-local correlations. Richardson and everyone else since then has assumed only local correlations are involved - at this moment I stand alone against the rest of the world!

Alternatively, I could come to ANL  to learn how to run and analyse the results - I would need someone, a 'consultant'  in the project, at ANL to guide me for a few weeks. Is this possible?

Please send me an email if you are interested.

Thanks
Nadeem Malik

Professor Nadeem Malik,  PhD(Cantab)
Associate Professor
King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals
P.O. Box 5046,
Dhahran 31261,
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Tel: +966-3-860-7650
Email: namalik at kfupm.edu.sa<mailto:namalik at kfupm.edu.sa>
Web:  http://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/math/namalik
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/nmalik11

Save a tree. Don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary