[Nek5000-users] Pulsatile Flow in NEK5000

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 5 17:24:32 CDT 2013

Hi Javid,

You simply need to use the "time" variable, e.g.,

      ux=1-y*y

gives the steady state solution, whereas

      eps = 0.1
      period = 5.0
      arg = 2*pi*time/period
      ux = (1-y*y)*(1+eps*sin(arg))

would give a sinusoidal fluctuation.  (Note that this is
_not_ the Womersely solution that is the exact inlet
condition for fully developed pulsatile flow...)

Regarding outflow, I don't know why the standard nozzle
approach would not work with the stress formulation.
Am on travel at the moment and don't have time to dig
into this, but perhaps someone else can assist.

Best, Paul