[Nek5000-users] 3D computations in 2D axisymmetric geometry

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 4 04:56:19 CDT 2012

Dear Neks,

My plan is to do 3D stability computations in an axisymmetric
geometry, starting in October. Even if the geometry is 2D, the flow
will be 3D, so I need to do a 3D mesh (not just a slice with constant
theta). The cluster hours for that project will only last 5 months, so
I need to get going in October, so I need to start thinking about the
mesh already. I have run planar geometries before (channel junction as
the last one), which were easy to mesh in prenek.

I was wondering how other people running similar computations have
created their mesh. What would be a good starting point? I have seen
some examples of pipe flow mesh cross section with "rectangular mesh
section" in the middle, and curved elements outside. Is this the best
way to go? Make a mesh for a pipe cross-section and then extrude it in
the axial direction?

My geometry will also have an inlet, but if I am able to make a mesh
for a pipe and for an annulus, and incline them in the axial
direction, I will be fine.

Thank you in advance,

Outi
P.S. I have asked about a 2D axisymmetric mesh before, but that time
we chose a planar flow case instead (channel junction), which I was
able to mesh in prenek. The axisymmetric geometry I am considering now
is not the same I was considering before.