[Nek5000-users] calling avg_all

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 12 10:34:33 CDT 2012

Dear Nek people:

I am performing DNS  and I want to compute the time mean velocities and
pressure as well as the Reynolds stresses. So I tried just doing a simple
call to subroutine avg_all from subroutine userchk in the .usr file with
no restrictions (no specific time steps, just evey time step).
1st question. Does this accomplish a running time average for the desired
variables?
2nd question. I don't want the associated files listing all of the
associated variables printed out every time step, only so often. Is this
accomplished by setting parameter 68 (iastep) to the frequency of desired
outputs? Or does iastep determine how often subroutine avg_all is called
as is implied in the .rea file.
3rd question. I tried to look at obtained results in the rms an rms2 files
in Visit, but it doesn't recognize the time mean/rms variables. What's up
with that?

Thanks
Rich