[Nek5000-users] Periodic BC on non-parallel boundaries

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 10 13:04:54 CDT 2011

Hi neks,

I would like to employ periodic boundary conditions on the sides of a slice
of an annulus.  I have constructed this domain by deforming the domain
[0,1]x[0,1] in userdat2.  Setting the initial domain up with periodic sides
does not work.  I`m guessing this is because nek is trying to mathc x- and
y-velocities at the boundaries, when really I need to match velocities in
the normal and parallel directions.

Is the P boundary condition unable to handle matching non-parallel
boundaries, and if so is there a work-around?

If this makes it easier, I can settle for having only 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4
slices, so the BC`s amount to mappings of +/-u,v to +/- u,v.

Thanks!

David