[Nek5000-users] Pn-Pn boundary condition

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 6 15:27:35 CDT 2011

Zhu,

As far as I understand it, boundary conditions for pressure aren't
exactly SET, more so as they are computed so that div u = 0 (as Paul
mentions in the note you included below).  So, as far as I know, there
is no method to set, say, an inlet pressure with Nekton.

Is this correct developers? (it's something I've always wondered myself)

Josh

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM,  <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if there is any reference on the pressure boundary condition
> for Pn-Pn case? I know Dr. Fisher has a 1997 JCP paper discussing the
> Pn-Pn-2 setting.
>
> Also what subroutines/functions handle with the boundary conditions for both
> velocity and pressure? Thank you,
>
> Zhu Wang
> Virginia Tech
>

> ----------------------------
> Dear Fred,
>
> The pressure bcs are chosen to ensure div.U=0.
>
> For the Pn-Pn case, this involves addition of an appropriate inhomogeneity
> that cancels the b.l. divergence that arises from std. splitting
> formulations.
>
> For the Pn-Pn-2 case, there are no pressre bcs, only velocity bcs.
>
> Paul
>
> ----------------------------------
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:
>
>> Dear NEKs,
>>
>> I wanted to ask which boundary condition is used for the pressure in nek??
>> are all pressure gradients normal to wall set tto zero?? because in my
>> current simulation i have a pressure gradient normal to a wall and i am
>> wondering why!?
>>
>> best, fred

Josh Camp

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing" -- Edmund Burke