[Nek5000-users] scaling of nek5000 on a Cray

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 20 02:22:09 CDT 2010

I'm hoping to include our ping-pong and mxm timers in a future
source release so that we can get a handle on the platform
parameters via a couple of quick calls from userchk.  With luck,
we'll have this in a few days.  --  Paul

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:

> Hi Johan,

we can definitely do better on Cray systems but I guess we need to do some fine tuning first.
The BG architecture is quite different and you need much more grid points per core to scale on the Cray (4-8x more).

- Can you post your logfiles?
- Did you try to enable Nek's internal MPI profiling where you spend most of the communication cost?
- Did you try to use an optimized MPI rank mapping?

Is it possible to get an account on that machine to do some experiments?

Cheers,
Stefan