[Nek5000-users] Extrude an axisymmetric flow onto a fully thee-dimensional mesh

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 13 07:23:37 CDT 2010

Hi JC,

You _might_ be able to make it work by using the
grid-to-grid intrepolation described here:

http://nek5000.mcs.anl.gov/index.php/Data_processing_example

As I think about it, what you would need to do is something like

new (3D) geometry - .usr file:

       subroutine userchk

       n=nx1*ny1*nz1*nelv

       do i=1,n
          x=xm1(i,1,1,1)  ! assume x is the axis and y-z is in cross-plane
          y=ym1(i,1,1,1)
          z=zm1(i,1,1,1)
          rr = y*y+z*z
          if (rr.gt.0) rr=sqrt(rr)
          ym1(i,1,1,1) = rr
          zm1(i,1,1,1) = 0
       enddo
       ifxyo=.true.
       call outpost(vx,vy,vz,pr,t,'g2d')
       call exitt

This would write a file with x,y in the meridional plane.
Interpolate your old solution onto these points.  Not certain
if g2g can handle reading a 3D field file in a 2D case -- probably
not.   In that case, we just use the interpolator and generate
our own file i/o handler.

I have some things sitting around but they are a bit out of step
with the current interpolation interface.

Paul