[Nek5000-users] new build system

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 19 07:53:23 CDT 2010

Hello all,

No major complaints with the compile procedure.  For one thing, I must
say I am very impressed by the speed at which the code compiles!  Very
surprising considering the capabilities of NEK.

One suggestion would be to have a way to build testing and production
versions.  The testing version would be compiled with all the debug
switches on (i.e. check bounds etc.) and would be used when users are
making changes in the *.usr file and debugging.  The production version
would use compile switches that the development team finds to be best
for speed on particular platforms.

Cheers,
Frank

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 11:48 +0200, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
wrote:
> Dear Nek users,
>
> we have an ongoing discussion about a new build system for Nek.
>
> What do you think about the current build system?
> How easy is it to compile Nek?
> What can be improved / What's missing?
>
> One major complain was that the current build system does not follow the standard procedure of configure; make; make install.
>
> We may want to follow the standard more closely. One idea would be to have a nekconfigure.in file to specify the compiler, flags, etc. and you need to run nekconfigure to create a makefile for your environment.  After that you can use the classical GNU make utility to compile the code.
>
> Your feedback is welcome!
>

> Cheers,
> Stefan

Frank Herbert Muldoon, Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
Technische Universität Wien (Technical University of Vienna)
Inst. f. Strömungsmechanik und Wärmeübertragung (Institute of Fluid
Mechanics and Heat Transfer)
Resselgasse 3
1040 Wien
Tel: +4315880132232