[Nek5000-users] RB convection with high Rayleigh numbers

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 15 10:35:38 CDT 2010

Hi Mani,

I've not tried to go this high yet, but there are several std
techniques to pushing the envelope.

First, you should try to get an estimate of your expected resolution
requirements at the target Ra.   Then, guess that you might want to
run that simulation at say, lx1=10 or 12; and build the corresponding
mesh (number of elements in x and y); but start the compuation at
much lower Ra, with lx1=4, say.

Then work your way up in Ra, say by a factor of 10 in each successive
run, while also increasing lx1 as needed.

Note that for the flow in a box, you might find it faster to use
the fast tensor-product solver for the pressure, if using the Pn-Pn-2
method --- this is not always the case, but for some very difficult
problems (e.g., highly refined meshes), it does work better.

Paul