[Nek5000-users] RB convection with high Rayleigh numbers

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 15 00:09:31 CDT 2010

Hi,

     I'm trying to simulate RB convection in a 2D box of aspect ratio
2:1. I'd like to simulate cases with Rayleigh numbers of the order of
10^7 - 10^8. But I'm barely able to do 10^5 and that too with a time
step of 10^-6. For the mesh I took 8 spectral elements in the x
direction and 4 spectral elements in the y direction with 48 points
within each of them. Is there any way one can reach higher Ra numbers?

Regards,
Mani chandra