[Nek5000-users] Restarting simulation from instantenous & average velocity field files

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 1 08:19:35 CDT 2010

Hi Paul & Stefan,

Thanks for your replies.

I read through the routine avg_all() and I am using that to compute
averages. I am also using userchk subroutine in turbChannel case as a
guideline.

I am sorry for not being very clear about my simulations. For the DNS
simulation I ran it for 10 flow throughs till quasi-stationary state is
achieved. Then compute averages over 5 more flow throughs and finally
compute fluctuations over 10 more flow throughs.

Right now I am computing averages by setting up the simulation for all the
5 flow throughs at one time. At the end of 5 flow throughs I will end up
with 2 fld* files. One for instantaneous (blah.fld*) and other for
averages (avgblah.fld*).

To continue with calculating fluctuations over the next 10 flow throughs.
I need to read in the instantaneous and average field values to calculate
fluctuations. Is there is possible to do this with the RESTART OPTIONS.
Something like this,

         2 PRESOLVE/RESTART OPTIONS  *****
blah.fld01 X U P
avgblah.fld01 Uavg Pavg

I think there is one way around this. To calculate fluctuations, start
from fresh averaging for next 10 flow throughs and not use the averages
calculated from previous 5 flow throughs. I am not sure if this is the
right way to go about it.

Thanks for your help. I will test some cases out and will post any
questions I have.

Regards,

Harish.