[Nek5000-users] New Recycling BC method?

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 16 21:35:30 CDT 2010

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.  The reason for the interest is due to the Gambit to Nek matlab code. We have had great success importing complex geometries with it, but now we run into the issue of the recycling boundary condition.  Gambit's ordering of the elements is not always consistent which makes it impossible to use the current technique.

Our solution was to create the portion that has the recycling in prex and then merge it with the complex part created in Gambit. However, this is proving to be very time consuming and troublesome (Element Mismatch Errors).  So, to avoid this I would like to come up with a new recycling method that does not depend on the elements being in a specific order. My understanding is that the current method looks at the inflow, counts a certain number of elements up, copies this outflow from face 6 and puts it back into the inflow face 5.

What I would like to do is replace how the inflow plane is connected to the outflow plane. My idea was to use the connectivity matrix to figure out what the element numbers and outflow faces are at a certain distance away from the inflow plane, and use these faces to connect.  The cross-section for the inflow and outflow plane would be the same, but you couldn't necessarily say that it is located, say inflow + 30 elements for example, OR that the outflow and inflow faces are all the same (face 5 for inflow, face 6 for outflow for example).

Do you think this is possible? In a way, you would be creating a new connectivity matrix that governs the recycling BC.

Thanks!

- Michael M.