[Nek5000-users] Flow past a sphere

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 11 09:52:07 CST 2010

Hello,

I have some problems with the PRENEK tool. I would like to simulate the
flow past a sphere with NEK5000. But I have some problems to set up
this case with PRENEK. When I defined a straight open-channel with some
element (lets say Nx * Ny * Nz = 2 * 2 * 4, whereas x is the
transverse, y the vertical and z the flow direction). To put a sphere
into the channel, I'm using the CURVE SIDES > SPHERICAL MESH tool. I'm
typing the following
  w        (whole sphere)
  0 1 2    (coordinates of sphere center)  ("center of the channel")
  n        (no prolate spheroid)
  s        (spherical shell)
  0.5      (radius)
  c        (extend to cartesian box)
  1.0      (minimal distance to box)

Then I'm defining the elements of the sphere as "Wall", but I also have
to define all the sides of the cartesian box... And how should I do
this, because this box just should be a part of the channel...

Thanking you in anticipation..

Best regards,
Fred