[Nek5000-users] mesh precision

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 29 15:54:16 CDT 2010

Hi Frank,

For most engineering calculations, single precision is
sufficient and the code was written w/ this in mind.

That being said, for convergence studies and for stability
simulations like yours, it can be of use to have higher
precision.

In fact, I'm wondering if that's the source of difficulty
in your current high Reynolds number runs - but haven't
had time yet to test this hypothesis.   My std. approach
is to project the input coordinates, xc(), yc(), and zc(),
onto the cylinder in usrdat(), at which point they are
then used to generate the geometry arrays, xm1, ym1, zm1.

usrdat() was originally designed for precisely this type
of application.

hth,

Paul

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:

> Hello all,

>From the *.rea files I have seen (including in the examples), all
numbers describing the mesh are single precision.  I am wondering why
that is the case; would not double precision values be better?

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Herbert Muldoon, Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
Technische Universität Wien (Technical University of Vienna)