[Nek5000-users] Tolerances

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 28 03:13:44 CDT 2010

Dear Paul and Stefan,

We are currently studying a 3D flat-plate boundary layer which is highly
unstable to crossflow modes. When computing the base flow we realize
that numerical noise already triggers unsteady crossflow waves with
amplitudes of the order of 10^{-6}. We plan to study receptivity to
external perturbations with amplitudes of 10^{-5} (to avoid early
nonlinearity) so it would be desirable to suppress the numerically
triggered disturbance waves.

We use the PN-PN-2 formulation, dealiasing and filtering (0.05). We also
noticed that about 15 pressure iterations per timestep (gmres) were
needed which seems to be high.

We further use the following tolerances:
       1.0E-08         DIVERGENCE
       1.0E-08         HELMHOLTZ

       1.0E-06         TOLREL
       1.0E-10         TOLABS

We wonder whether using stricter values may lead to smoother results.
What is actually the meaning of TOLREL and TOLABS?

Thank you very much for your advice and some clarification.

Greetings from KTH Stockholm,

Lars-Uve and David