[Nek5000-users] Simulation blows up after running for approx. 53500 time steps!!

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 19 07:14:15 CDT 2010

Try to add some divergence to the outflow boundary to accelerate the flow. You'll find an example in the turbJet example (see accl_outflow). This will work well if you're right and the problem is related to a significant backflow at the outflow boundary.

Some solver performance suggestions:

- lower your pressure tolerance (e.g 1e-5 is typically strict enough)
- your timestep seems to be quite low (check the CFL-number). If the field is fully turbulent and you use IFCHAR=.false. you're stable up to CFL ~ 0.5. If you use the characteristics scheme try to use a dt such that  CFL = 2 (make sure you set COURANT in the .rea file correct).

Stefan