[Nek5000-users] Question about method & error

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 7 08:52:15 CDT 2010

Frank,

Do you know the surface tension for your case?  Is it a function
of temperature?

Paul

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 06:21 -0500, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> There are several apps driving it.  At present, I think that the
> version is slightly out of step w/ our current repo - but not far.
> The original developer has moved on to a university and to other
> projects, so has not been pushing it since September (though I used
> it extensively in January for some tests).  I've been holding off
> on pushing it further till I had more support.
>
> If your shared interface has elements on either side that are
> conforming it might also be possible to study the Marangoni
> problem in the std. nek if you use the ALE formulation ---
> If you use a fixed interface we would suffer from the fact
> that the pressure would have a nullspace of dimension 2
> since pressure on either side of the (rigid) interface
> would be determined up to a constant.   This would be
> difficult for our solvers given that we've designed them
> only to handle the case of an at-most one-dimensional nullspace.

Hi Paul,

The elements on both sides of the interface are conforming.  If the
interface was free to move, but had a very high surface tension, high
enough that it was essentially fixed, then perhaps that could work?  But
then there could be problems with ill-conditioning with a very high
surface tension.

> How complex is your domain?

Not very.  It consists of a liquid suspended (due to surface tension)
between two metal posts.  The liquid is surrounded by a gas flow.
http://tetra.fluid.tuwien.ac.at/fmuldoo/public_html/temp/schematic-3d-liquid-bridge-2.png

I have gridded it using a block structured grid of 9 blocks, five in the
liquid region and four in the gas. The terminology for the whole problem
is a "liquid bridge".

Cheers,
Frank