[Nek5000-users] surface tension (Marangoni effect) driven flows

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 2 07:17:42 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 14:02 +0200, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
wrote:
> Ok I see. It's hard to say if NEK can handle a problem like this.
> Do you know what's needed on a solver level to tackle such a problem?

Hi Stefan,

My idea of the coupling would be to (at each time step):

1)  solve the liquid using some guess for the velocity and temperature
at the interface

2)  define the tangential stress at and heat flux across the interface
from using the values of the velocity and temperature in the liquid

3)  using the tangential stress and heat flux from 2 as boundary
conditions, solve for the gas (including at the interface).

4) using the velocity and temperature at the interface found in 3, goto
1 and repeat till convergence.

> I think you want to run two NEK instances which are coupled through an interface boundary condition, right?

Yes, that would be the goal. Each instance would have different fluid
properties, and be connected to the other through the mentioned BCs at
the interface.

Are you aware of any uses of Nek5000 to solve surface tension (Marangoni
effect) driven flows?

Cheers,
Frank