[Nek5000-users] surface tension (Marangoni effect) driven flows

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 2 06:14:08 CDT 2010

Hello all,

I am interested in the opinion of users and developers as to whether it
is practical to use Nek5000 for a "two-phase" flow problem.  I write
"two-phase" since the interface between the two fluids is fixed, with
only the shear stress and tangential velocity matched there (normal
velocity being zero) and temperature and normal heat flux.  In addition,
on the liquid side of the interface there is a shear stress proportional
to the temperature gradient along the interface (Marangoni effect).

Also, am I correct in understanding that all components of velocity are
stored at the same location (the Gauss–Lobatto–Legendre points), while
the pressure is located at the Gauss–Legendre points?  This being in
contrast to a MAC type staggered grid, where each velocity component
resides at different spatial locations.

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Herbert Muldoon, Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
Technische Universität Wien (Technical University of Vienna)