[Nek5000-users] Flow past cylinder

stefanke stefanke at lav.mavt.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 22 07:53:52 CDT 2009

Hi,

a good meshing tool is really missing in nek5000 but I am afraid there
is _no_ good high-order quad/hex mesher.
In the case of spectral elements you typically end up with big
elements and you really need a high order geometry representation
otherwise you're not really flexible if it comes to meshing. In
addition to it you may run into accuracy issues if you're using a
lower (e.g. 2nd-order) representation of your geometry.

However high-order surface meshing etc. is very difficult for complex
geometries especially for hex meshes. Most of the meshing tools
(Cubit, Gambit, ..) are designed for lower-order methods (e.g.
FEM,FVM) so they're not ideal at all.

Stefan