[Nek5000-users] Reference for LES filter

stefanke stefanke at lav.mavt.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 16 12:23:10 CDT 2009

Paul: you may want to supplement my answer.

To give you an idea of what we're doing here:

1. construct a low-pass filter transfer function (to preserve the
accuracy the transfer function needs to be smooth). The particular
shape of the transfer function depends in the application.
2. transform the Lagrange polynomials into a hierarchical modal basis
(e.g. Legendre polynomials)
3. apply the filer
4. apply transpose of transformation (see step 2)

At the moment we support only two options for LES:

- dynamic Smagorinsky (only tensor product domains are supported for
now)

- simple filter model
In this model we simply filter the velocities u after every timestep
(e.g. only last 2 modes are filtered using a quadratic transfer
function. The last mode is filtered by 5%). The filtering operation
does not preserve div(u) however this effect is typically very little.
I cannot tell you how much and many modes you need to filter because
this model lacks of a physical justification. However it is in the
spirit of every LES model. All of them try to remove energy which you
cannot present by your grid.

hth,
Stefan