[mpich2-dev] Missing symbols when configuring with --disable-f77 --disable-f90

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 13:23:34 CDT 2009

I want to ask you about two issues [1] [2] some users have reported
when trying to build mpi4py with MPICH2.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/mpi4py/browse_thread/thread/f07335cd4a60557f
[2] http://code.google.com/p/mpi4py/issues/detail?id=8

As a summary, if MPICH2 is configured like this:

$ ./configure --disable-f77 --disable-f90 ...

then the following symbols are not available in the MPI library:

- MPI_Type_create_f90_integer
- MPI_Type_create_f90_real
- MPI_Type_create_f90_complex

Additionally, after trying to build mpi4py with a custom
configure-like step that checks for EVERY symbol in the MPI API, I've
detected that the following symbols are also missing:

- MPI_Status_c2f
- MPI_Status_f2c

Any chance that if Fortran bindings are disabled (or in case a Fortran
compiler is not available), the MPI library still provide these
symbols? The code in "src/binding/f90" seems to cope (or could more or
less easily cope) with the case of missing Fortran configuration info.
Additionally, MPI_Status has a so simple layout that some assumptions
could take place and still provide MPI_Status_{c2f|f2c}.

--
Lisandro Dalcín