[mpich-discuss] unable to get host address

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:12:37 CST 2011

Hi Alex,

> First thx for your support, I really appreciate it!

You're welcome. In this particular case it's well-motivated and
well-meant but a bit ill-trained in terms of MPI itself -- please
don't take my word for anything, as I'm not part of the dev team (you
really should see *their* idea of support btw) and prone to guessing.
I'm an end user that just likes the product and is amazed at the way
they stand by it over the years and listen to the users.

Like I said I have some extra motivation to try and figure this one
out if we can,  both for my own reasons (I've long been trying to get
a better grasp of some of the aspects involved here) as well as to try
and help out a bit when I happen to know something that may be of use.

> --I'm running on 10.6.6 all updates done.

Great. Same here.

> --Hosts file is clean, exactly the same as yours.

Great again. Maybe we'll try and make it less clean to try that out,
if need be, but so far, so good -- at least now I know for sure that
wasn't interfering and can rule it out as the problem (if perhaps not
as a possible solution).

Even on 10.6, OS X's name resolution approach is still really hard to
understand  (traditional DNS with its traditional fallback to the
static /etc/hosts file, *plus* their whole other alternative approach,
it's a mess I haven't fully figured out yet) so troubleshooting easily
becomes chaos if things get mixed up.

> --I believe i'm not behind a NAT, with ifconfig i'm getting ip's on en0 and en1 profiles (other than the usual 195. or 10. ones )

Roger. So the hostname you had anonymized was indeed a public one.
That should work. Can you resolve back and forth (that name to your
current public IP, and that IP back to name)?

> --I tried the scutil command but nothing changed, still getting the same output.

OK.  Reset that, then, if you want.  I'll try something here and write
back in a short while.

Regards
Nicolás