[mpich-discuss] (no subject)

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 03:56:59 CST 2011

Theo,

>  Are there any other possible causes?
> SSH is fine,

* Does "fine" include having double-checked that, in both directions,
neither an interactive password nor any other interactive confirmation
(e.g. yes/no) is ever needed?

> we use external DNS

* Does your DNS correctly handle reverse lookup of all hosts involved?
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup

* If you use the "host" command to look up the name of the IP of a
name, do you end up with exactly the same name you started with? If
not, what do you get if you look up the IP for that new name?

> If I add two nodes to my hosts file I receive the error below,

* Your log says you ran mpiexec on node0 while the file contained
node1 and node2. That involves 3 nodes total, counting the head.
Correct?

* If so, any reason why you didn't try a simpler case where only 2
nodes are involved at all?

* What about varying the choice of those 2 out of 3?

* Is there something special about node0, or just a convention?

> if I only have one node in the host file it runs happily even if executed via MPI

* Does this hold for any one node you choose?

* Does it still hold regardless of whether the node where you run
mpiexec is or isn't the one you choose to put on the list?

HTH
Nicolás