[mpich-discuss] MPI jobs don't have access to CUDA devices

Florin Ciubotaru florinciu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 10:53:45 CST 2011

Hi,

I'm running mpi jobs on a small cluster that has several machines with CUDA
enabled devices. I'm trying to add gpu acceleration to my computations, but
I'm having issues executing CUDA code while running the processes as an mpi
job. The gpu logic works fine when the application is executed as an
independent process.
I guess there's something in the way smpd launches the job and prevents the
process from properly accessing the CUDA driver(and device). Most probable
cause is that smpd is running as a Windows service and not as an interactive
console session. Is there a way to tweak smpd or mpiexec in order to have
CUDA access for the jobs?

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru