[mpich-discuss] Runtime config file

Jeff Hammond jhammond at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 16 12:32:09 CST 2011

If typing "-configfile <file>" is a bottleneck for your work, I
question your need for parallel computing.  Are you bothered because
you don't want to type out "mpiexec -configfile <file> ..." every time
you launch MPI?  Try this: alias mympiexec="mpiexec -configfile
<file>" in Bash.  You can save even more characters by replacing
mympiexec with something shorter, like the letter m.  Alternatively,
scripts can automate a variety of command-line tasks, including
parallel job launching.  You could write a script that looks at
~/.mpichrc to learn that it should launch mpiexec with "-configfile
<file>", in which case you'd have exactly the behavior you want.

Jeff

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Saurabh T <saurabh at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well it's still a fairly large argument to be passed all the time. I am talking of the ability to look up a configuration file (say prefix/etc/something.conf) automatically. Seems like MPICH doesnt support this.
>
> saurabh

>> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:32:19 -0600
>> From: balaji at mcs.anl.gov
>> To: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
>> CC: saurabh at hotmail.com
>> Subject: Re: [mpich-discuss] Runtime config file
>>

>> You can use mpiexec -configfile .
>>
>> -- Pavan
>>
>> On 02/16/2011 08:55 AM, Saurabh T wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> > Does MPICH support a runtime configuration file at the system level, so users dont have to (a) set a whole bunch of environment variables, or (b) always pass a whole set of arguments to mpirun? What I am looking for is the equivalent of OpenMPI's etc/openmpi-mca-params.conf file. I am using Hydra process manager. Thank you.
>> >
>> > saurabh

>> --
>> Pavan Balaji
>> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji