[mpich-discuss] undefined symbol: MPIR_Thread

Matthias Demuzere Matthias.demuzere at ees.kuleuven.be
Tue Feb 8 06:12:50 CST 2011

Anthony, Gus,

I think the problem is solved due to the suggestion of Anthony. Although
I rebuilt hdf5 and netcdf4 already a million of times, I realised I
probably didn't do that after the discovery of mpich still being present
from the ubuntu repository.

Therefore, I rebuild it again as follows (following guidelines on the
unidate webpage:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/parallel.html#parallel)

For HDF5:  CC=/usr/local/mpich2-1.3.1/bin/mpicc ./configure
--enable-parallel --prefix=/usr/local/hdf5 -- with-zlib-zusr/local/zlib
--disable-shared && sudo make check install

For NETCDF:   CPPFLAGS="-DgFortran"
FC=/usr/local/mpich2-1.3.1/bin/mpif90
CXX=/usr/local/mpich2-1.3.1/bin/mpicxx
CC=/usr/local/mpich2-1.3.1/bin/mpicc ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.1 --with-hdf5=/usr/local/hdf5
sudo make check install

I compilled cesm again, and run the ccsm.exe file.
Although I do get some sort of error message, I think the model ran
properly.

So I guess the problem was lying in the fact that hdf5 still had this
hidden unbuntu mpi dependence.

I would like to talk you for your efforts and patience, I hope I can now
fully start to use the model!!

FWO Post-doctoral Research Fellow
Department of Earth&  Environmental Sciences
Physical and Regional Geography Research Group
Regional climate studies

Celestijnenlaan 200E
3001 Heverlee (Leuven)
BELGIUM