[mpich-discuss] undefined symbol: MPIR_Thread

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 2 12:08:20 CST 2011

You indicated mpich2-1.3.1 was installed in /usr/local/mpich2-1.3.1
so /usr/local/bin/mpif90 refers to mpif90 from other MPI implementation.
So you MUST specify fullpath to mpif90 in all your build scripts and/or
makefiles.  I also notice your bldlog uses compiler variables besides FC and CC,
i.e. MPICC, MPIF90, F90..., and some of these fortran

CC = $(MPICH_PATH)/bin/mpicc
MPICC = $(MPICH_PATH)/bin/mpicc
FC = $(MPICH_PATH)/bin/mpif90
F90 = $(MPICH_PATH)/bin/mpif90
MPIF90 = $(MPICH_PATH)/bin/mpif90

and leave LIB_MPI and INC_MPI blank (that would help you locate which script
and/or makefile that set FC to "gfortran" or "mpif90").

The other option is to simply prefix your PATH with /usr/local/mpich2-1.3.1 to
avoid /usr/local/bin's MPI compiler wrappers being used in CCSM build system,
but then you have to check your environment every time running CCSM build system,
and your build output won't show correct MPI implementation is being used or not.
So I think you should follow the 1st approach that was suggested.

A.Chan