[mpich-discuss] Hydra framework (thru Grid Engine)

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 12 09:39:14 CST 2011

Hi Bernard,

On 12/12/2011 08:58 AM, Bernard Chambon wrote:
> 1/ After compiling hydra framework, I didn't find mpicc in hydra directories
> (so I used mpicc in older mpich2 install)
> Do I need to understand that hydra is "only" an execution framework
> (mpiexec, etc.) ?

Correct.  Hydra just provides the execution framework.  You can compile
your application with any version of MPICH2 or its derivatives, but it
is recommended that you use the latest version.

> 2/ with Hydra (1.4.1p1) , is it possible to use 10 GigE TCP interface
> We have machines with two TCP interfaces (eth0 = 1Gb/s, eth2 = 10Gb/s)
> with Hydra I can't use eth2 even when specifying -iface eth2

This should work correctly.  Just to make sure you are using this right:
setting the -iface option makes sure that your application is using the
eth2 interface, so MPI communication will use eth2.  Hydra itself will
use the default network interface for launching processes, unless it
finds a local interface in your host file list.  If the SGE provided
host list is using the 1GE interface, it will use 1GE.

You might or might not care about what network interface is used for
launching processes, but I want to make sure you are checking the
network usage on the right machines.

> To be more explicit, running :
> mpiexec -rmk sge -iface eth2 -n $NSLOTS ./bin/advance_test

The "-rmk sge" and "-n $NSLOTS" parts should be autodetected, so you
don't need to provide them.

> Other reason for using hydra, is that mpd process are not very stable
> (in my configuration)

Please don't use MPD.  It's not supported anymore.

  -- Pavan