[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 1.3 speed down on Windows 2008 R2

Youri LACAN-BARTLEY youri.lacan-bartley at transvalor.com
Wed Apr 27 11:49:54 CDT 2011

Hi Jayesh,

First of all, thank you for the swift reply.

To answer your question, I've been basically binding my mpi jobs with "-binding user:0,1,2,3,[...],29,30,31" since I'm using all available cores on the machine. It's this specific scenario that is bugging me.
I have tried running jobs with let's say 8 cores and specifying different bindings (per core, per socket, shared L2 cache, etc) and the results were what I was expecting.
What I can't explain is why I obtain such a massive speed down between running on 16 cores and 32 cores.
I might be overlooking something but I really can't put my finger on it.

I've even played around with channels (sock, nemesis, etc) in the hope that this might shed some light on the issue but to no avail.

If you need more detailed information, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the help,

Youri LACAN-BARTLEY