[mpich-discuss] The differnce between MPI_Get_count & MPI_Get_element?

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 13:15:25 CDT 2011

This is explained here (see approx. halfway down the page):

   http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-11-html/node59.html

In a nutshell: Similarly to your last question, there is no difference
if only basic datatypes are involved. But if you used custom types to
receive, say, N records consisting of K floats each, one function
would return N while the other would return N x K. See the link for
further details.

Hope this helps,

Nicolás