[mpich-discuss] Control getting stucked at mpiecec ./a.out

Sanjaya Gajurel sxg125 at case.edu
Wed Apr 6 12:11:30 CDT 2011

Hi,

We have successfully installed MPICH-1.2.7p1 in our cluster with RHEL-5.5
OS; x86_64 architecture.

I am able to obtain the correct output, however, the control is getting
stucked at mpiexec ./a.out.

This is the test file main.c.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mpi.h>

int
main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
  int rank, rc, source, dest, numtasks;
  int msg;
  MPI_Status Stat;

  MPI_Init (&argc, &argv);
  MPI_Comm_size (MPI_COMM_WORLD, &numtasks);
  MPI_Comm_rank (MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank);

  if (rank == 0)
    printf ("World is composed by %d nodes\n", numtasks);

  source = (rank > 0) ? (rank - 1) : numtasks - 1;
  dest = (rank + 1) % numtasks;

  rc = MPI_Send (&rank, 1, MPI_INT, dest, 1, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
  rc = MPI_Recv (&msg, 1, MPI_INT, source, 1, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &Stat);

  printf
    ("I am proc number %d getting message %d from source %d and sending
message %d to dest %d\n",
     rank, msg, source, rank, dest);
 //MPI_Barrier(MPI_COMM_WORLD);
 MPI_Finalize ();
  return 0;
}

This is the PBS script (test.pbs) to submit the job in our cluster:

#PBS -N test
#PBS -l walltime=00:10:00
#PBS -l nodes=8:ppn=1
#PBS -m b
#PBS -m e

##PBS -e test.err -o test.out

module load mpich
#module load openmpi
# cd to the directory where the job was submitted
cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
pbsdcp -s * $PFSDIR

cd $PFSDIR

# Execute program
mpiexec mpitest

echo "Ready to copy"
#pbsdcp -g '*' $PBS_O_WORKDIR

cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR

This is the output file:

I am proc number 1 getting message 0 from source 0 and sending message 1 to
dest 2
World is composed by 8 nodes
I am proc number 0 getting message 7 from source 7 and sending message 0 to
dest 1
I am proc number 5 getting message 4 from source 4 and sending message 5 to
dest 6
I am proc number 3 getting message 2 from source 2 and sending message 3 to
dest 4
I am proc number 7 getting message 6 from source 6 and sending message 7 to
dest 0
I am proc number 4 getting message 3 from source 3 and sending message 4 to
dest 5
I am proc number 6 getting message 5 from source 5 and sending message 6 to
dest 7
I am proc number 2 getting message 1 from source 1 and sending message 2 to
dest 3

The problem is, the echo command after "mpiexec mpitest" is not executed.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

-Sanjaya

--