[mpich-discuss] Clock synchronization

Ravi Prakash ravihoo at ymail.com
Sat Apr 2 22:42:58 CDT 2011

Hi Jim and Pavan,

Thank you for your replies. I meant the time I'd get by calling MPI_Wtime() .Section 7.1.1.4 (Clock Synchronization) on http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-11-html/node143.html states "the expectation is that the variation in time, as measured by calls
to  MPI_WTIME, will be less then one half the round-trip
time for an  MPI message of length zero."

So I guess every time I call MPI_Init(), the clocks (per process) are synchronized. My original question was what algorithm is used to sync that time across multiple machines. However if the variation is a few 10s of ms I should probably be fine. I'd been in trouble if it was 100s of ms. I've got only 3-4 machines, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks,
Ravi

[please keep mpich-discuss cc'ed].

There is no real communication during synchronization. Zero-byte
messages are exchanged. The algorithm used is logarithmic with respect
to the number of processes.

  -- Pavan