[mpich-discuss] Using an Alternative Debugger for MPICH

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at runnersroll.com
Fri Apr 1 13:21:59 CDT 2011

Hi All,

I'm interested in using a custom debugger to debug an mpi program of
mine.  From past reading I had thought that the option -dbg=<debugger>
would allow me to use my own mpirun_dbg.<debugger> to debug a program,
but that option seems to be missing from mpich2 implementations or I am
configuring it incorrectly.  I've configured, compiled and installed
mpich2-1.3.1 with the following options:

./configure --with-file-system="pvfs2+nfs+ufs" --enable-romio
--enable-mpe --enable-g --prefix=~/usr

And though I can verify it runs fine without the -dbg parameter, when I
use such I am getting the following error message:

[mpiexec at ...] match_arg (./utils/args/args.c:122): unrecognized argument dbg
[mpiexec at ...] HYDU_parse_array (./utils/args/args.c:140): argument
matching returned error
[mpiexec at ...] HYD_uii_mpx_get_parameters (./ui/mpich/utils.c:1033):
error parsing input array

So I assume dbg is gone, but I cannot find out what a replacement for it
is, if any exist.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Best,

ellis